There are not many Hungarian restaurants, or more precisely good restaurants in Hungary that are enlisted in the internationally recognized Michelin guide. Currently all of them that made the list are in the capital, the city of Budapest.
Budapest Michelin Restaurants
Costes Restaurant in Budapest was the first restaurant in Hungary that earned the long awaited Michelin star.
Central-Eastern Europe had no Michelin stars well after the change of regime and the end of communism in 1989, even though “Michelin has been looking at venues in the region since 1996, said Jean-Luc Naret, president of the Michelin Guides” (according to Bloomberg.com).
Then, more than a decade later, around 2010 there came a series of new appreciations of the former Eastern block leaving behind the simplified gastronomy of goulash, dumplings, and stodgy meals downed with beers.
In March 2008 the Italian Allegro Restaurant (Four Seasons Hotel) in Prague broke the ice, then in 2010 Costes Restaurant made it into the Michelin guide with 1 star, quickly followed by another Hungarian restaurant (Onyx Restaurant) in 2011.
Borkonyha / Winekitchen is the third in the line to receive a Michelin star in the Via Michelin restaurant guide. The recent addition in the list was recorded in March 2014. The popular and high end wine restaurant in Budapest stands out in the Michelin restaurant list with its longer opening hours: Mon – Sat 12 – 24.
Michelin star restaurants in Budapest, Hungary
- Onyx Restaurant Budapest – 1 Michelin star * – by Vorosmarty ter, Budapest (M1 metro station)
- Costes Restaurant Budapest – 1 Michelin star * – by Kalvin square, Budapest (M3 metro station)
- Winekitchen (Borkonyha) Restaurant Budapest – 1 Michelin star * – by Erzsebet Sq and Deak square, Budapest (M1, M2, M3 metro station)
Bib Gourmand restaurants in Budapest
- Csalogany 26 Restaurant Budapest – Buda side, Budapest – quite affordable prices
- Deryne Bistro Budapest – Buda side, short walk from the tunnel under the Buda Castle
formerly in Bib Gourmand list on Michelin:
- Vár a Speiz Restaurant – Buda Castle, Buda side, Budapest
- Arcade Bistro (Árkád Bisztró) Restaurant – Buda side, Budapest, by Deli train station & M2 metro station
- Bock Bistro Restaurant Budapest (Restaurant and Wine shop)
Restaurants in Budapest recommended by Michelin
- ’21’ Restaurant Budapest – Buda Castle on the Castle Hill – Buda side, Budapest
- Alabardos Restaurant – Buda Castle on the Castle Hill – Buda side, Budapest
- Arany Kaviar Restaurant – Buda side, Budapest (M2 Szell Kalman metro station)
- Babel Delicate Restaurant
- Baraka Restaurant – in the 5 star Andrassy Boutique Hotel, by the Heroes square (M1, Hosok tere metro station or Bajza metro station)
- Cafe Pierrot Restaurant – Buda Castle on the Castle Hill – Buda side, Budapest
- Cyrano Restaurant – city centre of Budapest (M1,M2,M3 metro stations at Deak square)
- Di Vino Restaurant Budapest – by the Basilica in Budapest (M1,M2,M3 metro stations at Deak square)
- Fausto’s Restaurant – by the Opera House, Budapest (M1, Opera metro station)
- Gundel Restaurant – Pest side, by Heroes square, Budapest (M1 metro station)
- Krizia Restaurant
- Mák Bistro – city centre, Budapest (M1,M2,M3 metro stations at Deak square, M2 Kossuth square, M3 Arany street)
- Márgál Restaurant – by the Academy of Music, Budapest (M1, Opera metro station or Oktogon metro station)
- Nobu Restaurant – in 5 star Hotel Kempinski, Budapest – city centre, Budapest (M1,M2,M3 metro stations at Deak square)
- Osteria Fausto’s Restaurant – by the Grand Synagogue, Budapest (M2, Astoria metro station)
- New York Salon, Budapest – in the 5 star Boscolo Hotel Budapest, New York Palace (by Blaha square, M2 metro station)
- Pierrot Restaurant
- Tigris Restaurant – city centre, Budapest (M1,M2,M3 metro stations at Deak square, M3 Bajcsy-Zsilinszky street, M3 Arany street)
Formerly Michelin recommended restaurants in Budapest
- Dio Restaurant
- Mokka Restaurant
- Vadrozsa Restaurant
last updated Feb 2015