French restaurants in Budapest: there are not many French restaurants in Budapest, as most of them tend to be French and Hungarian or French slanted international, or French and fusion.
Perhaps Le Meridien Hotel Budapest has the most French-like cuisine (not surprisingly), but perhaps not the best service and prices.
So we cannot really recommend an exclusively French restaurant in Budapest, but hopefully you can enjoy very nice French meals in one of the following restaurants (the ratings of the restaurants are around 4 out of 5, which translates as very good restaurants with some room to improve):
- Chess Restaurant Budapest is within walking distance to Hotel Corinthia Budapest. The restaurant is on the big ring road (the historical Grand Boulevard) in Dob Street.
- Pavillon de Paris on Fo Street Buda side has a delightful garden, a great place on summer days in hot Budapest. Walk down from Matthias Church by Fisherman’s Bastion towards the river Danube to get to the historical Fo Street (Fo utca), close to the French Institute in Budapest
- Ket Szerecsen Restaurant Budapest: this French inspired Hungarian restaurant is very conveniently located to the Budapest Opera House on Andrassy Avenue, and to the luxury boutiques in case you are on a shopping spree
- Borsso Bistro Budapest (getting more and more 4-5 star reviews)
- Chez Daniel Restaurant Budapest (very mixed reviews)
- Le Bourbon Restaurant in Le Meridien Hotel (mixed reviews)
- Abszint Restaurant Budapest
- Bistro 181 Budapest is in a non touristy area in Budapest in Izabella Street, a pleasant walk from Andrassy Avenue, Vorosmarty Street metro Station (not Vorosmarty Square, but Vorosmarty utca where the House of Terror is nearby)
- Csalogany 26 Restaurant Budapest: a no fancy bistro and restaurant close to Szell Kalman Square (M2 metro station, a 15 min downhill walk from the Buda Castle Hill
- Araz Restaurant the French and Hungarian restaurant of Hotel Zara Budapest
- Pavillon de Paris Restaurant Budapest
- ‘M’ Restaurant Budapest: an artsy and quirky little restaurant, with mixed reviews (averaging 4 out of 5). We love the interior for sure.
- Brasserie La Perle Restaurant Budapest sits close to Kalvin Square
- Paris Budapest Restaurant is a less touristy French Restaurant also on Fo Street close to Pavillon de Paris
- Deryne Bistro is a French-Hungarian place in Budapest with a nice little terrace on the calmer Buda side. Sort of a hit and miss, but worth a try (average reviews and rates give 4 out 5)
Le Bourbon French Restaurant is in the heart of the city on Erzsebet Square (right near Deak Square), at the five star Le Meridien Hotel Budapest.